Thursday 12 December 2013

anchors aweigh! {a birthday bash post}

Did you know that that's the right way to spell "anchors aweigh"? It's not "anchors away" like so many people write. I was blown away when researching "sailor terminology" for O's birthday party. (Yes, I am that nerdy mom.) We planned a nautical party for him (of course) and I had so much fun. Lots of things were Pinterest-inspired and I was happy with how it all turned out! Here's a look at our little man's big day …


Fishbowls and vases full of candy and treats for our guests. 
(I had wanted to tie all of them around but the fishbowls were a bit TOO round!)


This clever label is a copy from Pinterest. 
In case your'e wondering, this is how we got blue punch … er, Ocean Water.

Lemonade
Raspberry Lemonade Kool-Aid Mix 
(to make it blue)
Sprite

Mix to taste. 
(Read: my husband made it. I have no idea what sort of portioning he used.)


My ah-may-zing sister-in-law, Justine (who also hosted the party) 
whipped up this chalk art to welcome people.
When she said "I'll write 'Happy Birthday Oakley' …" I was NOT expecting this.
But it was incredible (and VERY much appreciated!)


I made this banner out of construction paper … I had originally planned to cut them into triangles, which is why they aren't square, but ended up liking the rectangle look.


I got those striped bunting banners off Pinterest too. Find them (along with other pretty printables) here.



He loved his cupcake smash. 
Too much. 
It was awesome.


I did a little photo shoot for his birthday.
It took SO long to get this picture because he was so busy just being crazy & bouncing the balloons out of the crib constantly.


Cupcakes!

The cupcake liners and toppers are from DOLLARAMA! Yes. You read right. 
My good friend Krista found them for me! 


I took a picture of Oakley every month for a whole year and displayed the pictures at the party. 
It was really cool to see them all together! 

I was so blessed by all the friends and family who came to celebrate with us. We had a good time visiting and eating and eating and eating. (I may have gone a bit overboard on the whole food thing.)

I know Oakley won't remember his first birthday but it was more a celebration for Jordan and I and a chance to show appreciation to those people who helped us through his first year. It was a bit over the top but I was super pleased with it and will probably tone things down for the next few years until he can have an "actual" birthday party with little friends whose parents I don't need to feed too! 

Thanks for taking our little birthday bash tour! 

2 comments:

  1. he's just the cutest. and the party was sooooooo lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE all these pictures, makes me sad we couldn't be there too! Love that boy and his awesome mommy... and I guess I can say his daddy too... :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Leave your thoughts below ... and if you are posting as anonymous - I'd really like to know who you are, so leave a name or web address!