Saturday 28 September 2013

panko chicken fingers {in the kitchen}

These last few weeks have felt like a bit of a gong show in our house. There have been a few issues that have sort of overtaken our lives and many other things fell by the wayside. Grocery shopping was one of these things. I was literally entering random ingredients into Google to try and come up with a recipe that I could make from my very limited stock. {Note to self: ALWAYS have tomato sauce, beans, cheese & milk on hand!} I had a bit of meat frozen and a depleted pantry to scour and planning supper quickly became my least favourite part of the day. I was so excited when Liz told me she made chicken fingers with panko bread crumbs and coconut oil and - as luck would have it - I had all the ingredients! {I know, panko bread crumbs and not tomato sauce? Really?} So I jumped on Pinterest and found this recipe from Cooking Light for Parmesan Panko Chicken Fingers. {I substituted the canola oil for coconut oil} I paired it with tri-colour baby potato wedges {"recipe" below} and veggies & dip. I think I should have coated the chicken with a little more panko to get more of a crunch ... they were a bit soft, which worked out with feeding chunks to our 10 month old but it may not appeal to all ages. The taste was a bit bland, but I think that could have been helped with just a little extra seasoning before coating the chicken. Otherwise, they turned out well and were an easy dinner in a snap!


Tri-colour Baby Potato Wedges

1 small bag tri-colour baby potatoes (mine were from Superstore)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp seasoning salt
1 tsp cajon seasoning

Cut potatoes into small wedges, place in bowl. Pour oil and seasonings overtop. Toss to combine. Spread on baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes. 

I do this with regular potatoes as well instead of store-bought fries. Just a bit of a healthier option and you can change up seasonings, oils, etc every time for some variety! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Leave your thoughts below ... and if you are posting as anonymous - I'd really like to know who you are, so leave a name or web address!