Sunday 29 September 2013

freezer cooking with Sharmane {in someone else's kitchen}

I've been pinning ideas for a while now for this whole freezer crock-pot cooking craze and really wanting to try it. I only have the freezer on top of our fridge for space, so I knew I couldn't go crazy (like this lady) but I wanted to have a few meals on hand for those days when I just can't my creative juices flowing to come up with supper. I meal-plan but sometimes, when that runs out and I'm left with random things in my pantry and fridge ... supper comes up short. So these are my "back-pocket" meals, if you will.

{Side note: isn't it weird that I can start out by talking about "pinning" things and you all know what I'm talking about? If this were two years ago, everyone would imagine me using a cork board and actual push pins. It's just strange how things evolve.}

Karlie had posted that she had done a big freezer meal cooking day and both Sharmane and I commented on her picture that we wanted to do that! DESTINY. We decided to get together this week and just do a big day of prep to have freezer meals on hand. We only did seven recipes but it took all afternoon on Friday.

Here's what we made:
If you look closely, you'll see our grocery bill was only $111.90. We already had some of the meat on-hand.
Sharmane provided chicken, prawns & turkey sausage and I supplied the beef. Well. J's family farm provided it.
So, that cut down our costs A LOT.

All our recipes were from either Six Sisters Stuff or Loving My Nest.



I went grocery shopping the night before and we used Sharmane's kitchen to work in. We decided to tackle it recipe-by-recipe in terms of what we were chopping and prepping. Some recipes require meat to be cooked before hand and others allow you to put it in the bags raw. It worked well for us to do it this way, but we only doubled our recipes. If you were tripling or anything crazy like that, you may want to do all your chopping & cooking first, then start bagging things. But - I think it's totally a personal preference thing.



Turns out that even with only seven meals, my fridge and freezer are full so I will be making most of the recipes this week, intermingled with my meal plan that I made up before deciding to do this. Two weeks of meals and only one day of prep for half of them! YES.



We decided that we will definitely do this again, although I will have to plan better for freezer space. I actually want to freeze them so I can use them in a pinch!



Have you done freezer crock-pot cooking at all? Tips? Tricks? I'd love to hear!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Leave your thoughts below ... and if you are posting as anonymous - I'd really like to know who you are, so leave a name or web address!